The Rebecca Pomroy Foundation seeks to “assist worthy charitable organizations that offer and provide health-building, educational and recreational opportunities and guidance to people of all ages in the community, with a special preference for organizations which provide training, education and counseling for girls and young women in need and organizations which operate community centers located in Newton, Massachusetts.”
True to its origins, support is offered without regard to religious preference, race, ethnicity, or national origin.
The “Newton Home for Orphan and Destitute Girls” was opened in 1872. After the death of its first matron, the home was chartered in 1884 as the “Rebecca Pomroy Newton Home for Orphan Girls”. Its mission was to “care for, train, and educate destitute and orphan girls, and aid them in procuring means of self-support”. In 1939, the charter was amended to include “the establishment and maintenance of a community center in Newton, and to offer and provide health-building, educational and recreational opportunities and guidance to people of all ages in the community.” In 1955, the organization’s name was changed to “The Rebecca Pomroy Foundation, Incorporated,” and it began to take its current form.
Patience Berkman, President
Anne Swingle Borg
Carol H. Brown, Clerk
Kathleen Carter Colantonio
Rev. Brandon Thomas Crowley
Mary-Ellen Efferen, Vice President
Michele M. Morris, Asst. Clerk
Guy B. Moss
Bradley K. Sharp, Treasurer
Emily M. Shumsky
Gayle A. Smalley, Past President
Rosemary H. Thomsen